Where To Find Ideas
This page provides a quick link to information you can use in your faith community for bulletin-board postings, flyer hand-outs, newsletter articles, and bulletin inserts. This list is but a sampling of the information available on the National Health Information Center website . When you click the link above you will land on their Health Observances page. If you then click the NHO Calandar at a Glance it will take you to listing of health observances organized by month. Simply scroll to the month of interest and you will find a full list of observances for that month and a link to information you can use. Don’t forget to always list your source!
Monthly Promotional Ideas
- Jan: National Glaucoma Awareness Month
- Jan: Cervical Health Awareness Month
- Feb: American Heart Month
- Feb: National Children’s Dental Health Month
- March: National Nutrition Month
- March: National Kidney Month
- April: National Minority Health Month
- April: National Youth Violence Prevention Week
- April: National Autism Awareness Month
- May: Mental Health Month
- May: National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month
- June: Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month
- June: Men’s Health Month
- June: National Safety Month
- July: Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month
- Aug: Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month
- Aug: National Breastfeeding Month
- Aug: National Immunization Awareness Month
- Sept: Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
- Sept: World Alzheimer’s Month
- Sept: National Recovery Month
- Sept: National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
- Oct: Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Oct: National Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- Oct: National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Nov: American Diabetes Month
- Nov: COPD Awareness Month
- Nov: Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- Nov: National Family Caregivers Month
- Dec: Safe Toys and Gifts Month
National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens
NIDA for Teens has a Drugs & Health blog where they regularly post articles and resources. You will find information like Plan Your Activity for National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week®: Become a CSI Agent! January 21-26, 2020.
In 2019 nearly 2,000 events were registered, and 2020 will be the 10th anniversary.
Congregational Care and Cancer
UCC Faith Community Nurse Leadership Team in partnership with authors James DeBoer and Laura Fitzpatrick from Yale Divinity School have launched a new resource titled: Congregational Care and Cancer.
The purpose of this resource is to orient you to some of the central questions and considerations that may emerge as you journey with those in your faith community affected by cancer. The PowerPoint slides and Handbook will guide you in leading group discussions on this subject.
The resource is geared to facilitators of faith community health ministries (both lay and nurse led, Deacons, Clergy/Pastors, Called to Care Ministries, grief ministries or any group within your congregation that practices spiritual and/or physical care and healing.
End Portion Control: The New (Ab)Normal
Portion sizes have been growing, and so have we!
Check out the website The New (Ab)Normal, which addresses the increase in portion sizes for popular food items from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This is helpful information to share as it’s not always easy to find healthy, smaller-sized meals in your own communities.
National Ovarian Cancer Awareness
September each year is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month: Since it’s inception in 1995, the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) has been committed to raising awareness of ovarian cancer in communities across the country and to providing education and support for women with ovarian cancer and their families. Help is only a call away at 1-888-OVARIAN. “Ovarian Cancer is more than a woman’s disease. It affects the entire family. Believe me…I know.” This information from NY Yankess Manager Joe Girardi can be found on their website as well as ways to find a local chapter, “Break the Silence” Campaign, a Test your Knowledge tool, and downloadable brochures.